Quick glance on project background
Logos is a small language school based in Wrocław. It has existed for over 15 years, and in February, the owner has realized that they need changes.
- earn more money 😉
- make offer more atractive for customers
An ideation workshop (12.02.2020)
Firstly to ensure that we know the needs and problems of their clients, we created proto-personas based on the experience of all team members. We Focused on two personas, kid and parent, as main profiles of clients. We created also problem board to discover what issue are lectors facing with every day.
Persona of parent and child
Main personas problems:
- not very interesting and boring lessons
- high demands of parents, not responding with kids capabilities
- poor conditions of school venue
- more engaged kids
- longer kids attention span
- better conditions/bigger classrooms
- more digital equipment/ tools to use during lessons
Using brainstorming methods we recognized some new idea to develop offer of school.
- add more digital elements into teaching process
- use less books and paper exercises to complete, especially with kids
- use kids expertise in using smartphones to encourage them to learn languages
- to build community around school and attract more new customers
- prepare themed courses (english in technology, english in lyrics)
- use more online platforms to make lessons more interesting for kids
- buy or borrow necessary equipment
- prepare more activities outside the building (like tresure hunt, city game)
Final conclusions of the day
After group discussion team decided to emphasize on
- use more digital solution (like online platform, web quizzies) to increase children’s involvement
- use drama as teaching method
- use less books and paper meterials, it saves their money for printing 😉
Some news about April 2020 COVID situation
Because of COVID-19 school needed to completely change their way of teaching. In only two weeks after lockdown team was able to switch to online in most of their lessons hours. And they did it. Thanks to February’s workshop, they were prepared, because of finding and testing new digital solutions since two months already.
I proposed to Logos team the next workshops in August. I thought it is worth summarizing these 5 months of online teaching, to point challenges and problems connected with it and define what to do in next year. We met for 4 hours of online training to discuss, think, and go forward.
We established a few main problems with online teaching
- it is hard to keep attention during the whole lesson time
- it is necessary to be prepared more carefully form first to last minute of meeting
- there is no possibility to take a break by movement exercises
- having technical issues, both teacher and student
Ideas to improve
- shorter lessons
- larger groups
- build lessons components to use like a bricks
- drama as a teaching method
- themed courses for adults (eg., for mothers after maternity leave, for seniors, business English, travelers basics)
- collect feedback from children and parents about online lessons and pricing
- benchmark other schools offer
- find out how to stand out within other schools
- how to create larger groups with maintenance the teacher’s comfort
First of all, I am very proud of the Logos team! They did a great job from our last meeting. They surprised me by preparing the completed Persona and draft of a language course prepared directly for her needs.
As I ‘ve written above this phase 3 workshop session was planned specified to dig into business issues to help this company grow way they want by making right decisions.
We Used Value Proposition canvas to check if their offer respond with customers needs. We aslo prepared Business Model Canvas for better understanding of resources, cost and revenue.
My favourites moment of workshops is when the right questions have been asked. I was happy to experience it also this time.
- It’s not the end!!!
- The’re growing, are better prepared, and more resilient !
- Asking right questions are important, sometimes makes people think